Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Damnable road block

It seemed like I was making good progress, but then it hit me like a sock of coins. Some sort of depression or lack of energy that just dragged me down to the pits. Maybe it was burnout. Lately, all I've been thinking about was this project, every moment of my day consumed with thinking about the script or the page layouts or how I'm going to do this or that.

I actually finished the script not too long ago and submitted it for review and revision to my editor, and the feedback was not so good. Neither did my good friend find it all too favorable, which told me I had a lot of trouble for this opening episode. I can probably partly blame the fact that I really had no idea where the episode's direction was going, and wasn't too sure about it even after I completed the first draft of the script. Of course, this made me think about the prospect of having to rewrite the entire episode over from scratch, which had always been a possibility I accepted. But now faced with the actual task at hand, it just seems very demoralizing.

I can also blame my lacking experience in writing, which is probably the biggest factor here. I always prided myself in coming up with interesting story ideas. Unfortunately that never translated into building actual stories out of them. This is really the first time I've completed a full script for an episode, which felt like it was a big accomplishment for me. The finer points of characterization and interaction are all but lost on me, which were the biggest problems I had with the script after I managed to hammer out a story. This is clearly something that needs work on.

I was looking forward to chugging ahead on the process of creating the comic pages. I started out on the thumbnails for the pages already, a task I had been eager to start on for a long while because it meant that I could finally visually construct the comic together. It wasn't too long into the thumbnailing process until this depression hit me, so I didn't get too far into it, thankfully. What I have so far can be preserved as it doesn't go too far into the meat of the story. But in order to continue, I need to go back to the writer's table and pull out a second draft of the script, and that may take some time again as I need to reorganize a lot of the events that take place and completely overhaul some scenes.

I guess I just need to charge on ahead. It'll feel good when I can start on the actual pages, and that'll be soon, I hope.

No comments: